What is Huacachina?
It is a small oasis (the only one in South America) that has a lagoon with green water and that around it there is a great vegetation full of palm trees, huarangos and eucalyptus, etc.
Where is Huacachina located?
It is located 5 km west of the Peruvian city of Ica in the middle of the region’s desert and 350 km south of Lima.
How to get to Huacachina?
You must first arrive in Lima and then you can travel by bus to Ica during a journey that takes between 4 to 5 hours. To check prices and schedules of the buses, click here. Once in Ica, the journey to Huacachina takes 10 minutes by taxi. The drivers at the bus terminal will charge you around 10 soles.
What activities to do in Huacachina?
Practice adventure sports: In this place you can sandboard or ride in sand carts through the dunes, which begin to “spin” through the desert, as if it were a roller coaster.
Activities last approximately two hours and are best done as part of an organized tour. It is very fun to slide down the famous dunes of Huacachina! All agencies and hostels offer these activities. The last departure is recommended at 5pm. to see the sunset. Visit the dunes to see the sunset: You can walk up the dunes to contemplate the incredible view of the sunset or at the end of the buggy tour.
Stroll through the green water lagoon: Its waters have healing properties. There are pedal boat rides through the lagoon. Stroll through the city of Ica and take a tour of the vineyards: Ica is also famous for its Pisco (the national drink of Peru) and its vineyards. You can learn about the history of Pisco, discover how it is made, as well as try some samples of this drink. In addition, during the months of February and March, the International Harvest Festival is held here, where they celebrate the production of pisco.
Where to stay in Huacachina?
There are several hotels that surround the Oasis lagoon, ranging from the cheapest to some of a higher category. Some of the most popular places to stay in Huacachina are: Desert Nights Hostel, La Casa de Bamboo, Hotel Mossone, El Boulevard, Wild Olive Guest House, Banana’s Adventure Hostel, and Hotel El Huacachinero. Many travelers also prefer to stay in the city of Ica instead of Huacachina since the number of accommodations is greater.
Where to eat in Huacachina?
Many lodges have restaurants to eat. One of the best options is Desert Nights Youth, located on the Huacachina boulevard and with an incredible view of the lagoon. At La Casa de Bamboo (located next to the Hostería Suiza) they serve international food ranging from Arabic to Thai food and food suitable for vegetarians and vegans. At Wild Olive Trattoria, located in Mlc. Jose Picasso Perata 154 there are delicious pizzas and Italian food.
Tips for traveling to Huacachina
- Bring cash as there are no ATMs.
- Bring sunscreen because it is a very sunny and dry place, sunglasses and a hat to cover yourself. Also wear comfortable slippers to walk on the sand.
- The oasis can be visited all year round as it rarely rains but if you prefer to avoid the hottest season, the best months are between April and October.
- If you have enough time to travel to Peru, spending a few hours will give you enough time to enjoy this oasis and take the typical excursions. If your itinerary through the country, on the other hand, allows you, you can stay 2 or 3 days since the night lighting of the oasis is incredible and you can dedicate time to the attractions that are also in its surroundings, such as the Paracas National Reserve and the Ballestas Islands.
- Huacachina is a small town around the lagoon with no more than 10 streets, so to move within there you can do it walking without problems. If for some reason you don’t want to walk there are dozens of motorcycle taxi drivers who will take you for a few soles. Take into account that the SAT (Tax Administration Service) charges $ 3.80 soles for each person’s entry to the Huacachina desert in Buggy.
In this full day Huacachina Tour from Lima you will be able to appreciate and enjoy the best that the Ica region has to offer on the southern coast of Peru. Includes City tour through the city of Ica and visit to the wonderful Huacachina beach.
This is a one-day Huacachina and Paracas Tour from Lima where you can visit Paracas, the city of the Pacific Sea, and the amazing oasis in the Huacachina desert in just one day. This accommodates those who are looking to do something near Lima.
In this Huacachina and Nazca Lines Tour from Lima you will be picked up from Lima and then transferred to Ica and thus make the flight to the Nazca Lines, you can also visit the Huacachina Oasis and make an adventure tour with Buggy and Sandboarding then at night return to Lima.