The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days Hike is an old and remote alternative path to the Inca Trail, it has much more spectacular views and with different ecological levels we will walk between lagoons, impressive snow-capped mountains such as Salkantay and Humantay, crossing rivers and subtropical areas of abundant vegetation and fauna. This trail is an excellent option for those who want to escape the most congested routes in a faster way, or for those who are looking for an alternative when the spaces of the traditional Inca Trail are busy.
This impressive excursion passes under the magnificent Salkantay Mountain (6,710 m / 22,014 ft), one of the highest and most impressive in the Peruvian Andes. Your first two days will be dominated by the impressive snow-capped mountains of Salkantay and Humantay, as you travel through the high Andean landscape. On the third day you will descend into the warm cloud forest, to reach Aguas Calientes on the fourth day. The impressive sacred citadel of the Incas Machu Picchu is visited during the last day of the program. This excursion is an interesting alternative for those who have not found space on the Inca Trail route to Machu Picchu. The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days Hike was recently named by National Geographic Adventure Travel magazine among the best 25 excursions in the world.
This Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days Hike perfectly combines culture and nature, the journey will allow you to admire the mythical Salkantay mountain and the famous Humantay lagoon. At the end of the walk, the lost city of the Incas Machu Picchu awaits you.
The Nevado del Salkantay, (6272 m.a.s.l.) is the highest mountain range on the eastern flank of the Vilcabamba mountain range. The Quechua name of this snowy mountain means “Wild Mountain” which can refer to the abrupt change of the climate in this region where this mountain predominates.
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days Hike became very popular among those hikers who want to combine quiet and peaceful routes with a visit to the city of Machu Picchu. You will be surrounded by an impressive setting.
We will cross the Andes, as well as enjoy panoramic views of great beauty of the great mountain and the subtropical forests.
The road is a bit more difficult than the traditional Inca Trail, especially on the Second Day, but there are horses ready for such a circumstance, as well as for the transportation of food and all the equipment.
Why book the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days Hike?
- Meet the Magical Laguna Turquesa Humantay.
- Overcome your limits and reach the top of Abra Salkantay.
- Enjoy the beautiful and relaxing Hot Springs.
- Tour the beautiful Inca citadel and surroundings.
- Enjoy the magical train journey in its various classes.
- Capture the best shots from the House of the Guardian.
- Fall in love with the Inca culture with its living history.
- Taste and participate in the preparation of food.
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco.
- Tourist transport to Challacancha, start of the walk.
- Professional bilingual guide.
- Pack horses to carry the group’s equipment (food, camping equipment and personal passenger luggage up to 5kl per person).
- Food (4 breakfasts / 4 lunches / 4 dinners).
- Basic lodging in Aguas Calientes.
- Camping equipment (tents, inflatable mats, tables and chairs, kitchen tent and dining tent).
- First aid kit and Oxygen.
- Entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Bus up and down from Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu.
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transportation from the train station to the hotel in Cusco.
Does not include:
- Breakfast on the first day and lunch on the fourth day.
- Tips (Guide, cooks and porters).
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it with us $ 5 USD per day).
- The entrance to visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes.
- Personal pack horse, which will carry up to 20 kilograms ($ 100 for the entire trek)
- Vistadome train service, add $ 50 USD.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu.
We recommend bringing:
- Hiking shoes
- Poncho for rain
- Warm clothes
- Insect repellent
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and hat
- Tablets to purify waters
- Photographic camera
- Towel and toilet paper
- Snacks (chocolates, candies, cookies, etc)
- Personal medical kit
- Additional national currency (soles)
- Original passport