FESTIVAL OF THE SUN, MACHU PICCHU & RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TOUR 6 Days
You can take part in the celebration of this, the most important festival in Cusco, in the midst of a sublime natural setting, as well as discover Machu Picchu, one of the New 7 Wonders of the World.
Enjoy this unique authentic Inca festival, the biggest in South America and the second largest festival in Latin America after the Rio Carnival, every year on June 24th in Cusco. The party starts in the temple of Koricancha, and ends with a lavish ceremony on the esplanade of Sacsayhuaman.
DAY 01 (Jun 21): CUSCO CITY TOUR
Upon arrival to Cusco Airport. Reception and transportation to the Hotel where you will receive an aromatic coca tea to stimulating for the height, will have the free morning to rest and also we suggest you have a light lunch in your hotel or in one of the surrounded.
13:30 Hr. City tour (entrance to the archaeological centers and museums including) we will visit the Main square, the Koricancha (temple of the sun) and in addition we will make a route bordering archaeological centers like Sacsayhuaman Fortress, Q'enko, Puka Pukara and Tambomachay, tour finishes 18:30 Hr. approximately at the main square in order you can take dinner in one of the exquisite restaurants in the area, then overnight.
DAY 02 (Jun 22): FULL DAY SACRED VALLEY TOUR
Breakfast. 8:15 am. Full day excursion to the Urubamba Valley visiting: the colorful market in Pisac. Pisac is located to the entrance of the Sacred Valley and followed by Ollantaytambo, the older town continuously occupied of the American continent. The narrow streets of Ollantaytambo, along with their channels that have not varied from the time Inca, evoke their ancestral inheritance, lunch in a typical restaurant. Chinchero is believed to be the mythical birthplace of the rainbow. Finally, we gonna return to Cusco main square at 18:30 Hr. approx.
The night is free for you to eat in a restaurant of your choice; although we always have plenty of suggestions for you should you require them.
DAY 03 (Jun 23): FULL DAY MACHUPICCHU TOUR
Breakfast. 04:15 AM pick up to go Ollantaytambo Train's station. The expedition, Vistadome, The Voyager and The 360º departs from Ollantaytambo Station (1 hour and 50 minutes outside Cusco). Service on board the train whilst passengers watch the spectacular scenery unfolding before them. From the agricultural plains on the way, to the crashing waters of the Urubamba River, and as you get closer to Machu Picchu the soaring mountains, the scenery is constantly changing.
The train arrives into Aguas Calientes, from this town we will take the buses that will take us to the Citadel, thirty minute journey up to the citadel.
Upon arrival at the Machu Picchu entrance, passengers can go straight into the citadel as tickets will have been pre-purchased for all guests.
A guide will escort you around the citadel, pointing out the best of the ruins and recounting the history of this Inca settlement. After the guided tour, guests are given the choice to wander alone through this fascinating World Heritage site. In the afternoon we will take the train back to Ollantaytambo, where our staff will be waiting for you, to transfer you by bus to Cusco.
DAY 04 (JUN 24): INTI RAYMI (festival of the Sun)
Breakfast. This day you will be picked up from your Hotel at 6:30 AM. you will be transfer to the Sun's Temple Koricancha. The ceremony of INTI RAYMI has three different scenes in three different places, it starts in the Sun's temple Koricancha, then, we headed to the main square (Plaza de Armas), where is the second scene and ultimately ends with the extraordinary and largest scene held in Sacsayhuamán, where we will go in a tourist bus.
Now that you've visited the great Inca’s architectural achievements it will be apparent to you that the Sun was the main deity worshiped in the Inca culture. Cusco celebrates the Inti Raymi with occasion of the winter solistice -the solar new year - for a town which main cult object was the god Inti (the sun). In time of the Incas was a religious ceremony, now it is a theater representation. However this expression generates a feeling of identity in the town that evokes values and memories that are still excellent in our days, it also brings to the memory a time that lives in the heart of the town of Cusco (Qosqo).
The Inca gives a traditional oration in the Sun's Temple, Koricancha, calling for blessings from the sun, fabled to be the origin of the Inca rulers. From here, the Inca, carried on a golden throne, leads the procession through the ancient city of Cusco up to Sacsayhuaman in the hills above city. Transfer to the ruins where you have reservations to watch the reenactment of the ancient ceremony of sacrificing a llama to the Pachamama, Mother Earth (don't worry, the llama sacrifices is simulated!), to ensure the fertility of the earth and warmth from the sun.
This special day also includes The New Fire Celebration. No fires were allowed in the city this day until the fire created by hollow mirror was used to concentrate the sunlight onto animal fur and kindling. Only then were all other fires started from this source.
You will also see the Inca representative carried on a litter and toasted with chicha (a fermented drink). With an the appropriate finale the Inca gives a speech expressed in the original, Quechua language. Afternoon transfer to the Hotel.
DAY 05 (Jun 25): RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK
03:30 Hr. We will pick you up at your Cuzco Hotel, Then we are going 3 hours drive through the South Valley to the Pitumarca town, where we will have our breakfast. After that we are going to drive for about 15 minutes more to Quesiuno community (4,326 m / 14,189 ft.), where we gonna start our trek for 3 hours approx. to arrive at the astonishing Rainbow Mountain, (most of the way is going up).
The Rainbow Mountain, also known as Vinicunca, is a spectacular place near the snowy Ausangate glacier. In the way up we are going to be able to enjoy amazing landscapes of herds of alpacas and llamas, the Ausangate Mountain, many red mountains and traditional local houses. We will have time to explore the area and take pictures. We will spend approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour (depend of your trekking speed and weather conditions).
After to take nice pictures and enjoy this majestic and unique natural wonder, we will descend back into Chilca for lunch. After lunch, we will drive back to Cuzco, arriving around 20:00 Hr.
DAY 06 (Jun 26): TRANSFER OUT
Breakfast. Coordinated time transfer to the Airport to return to Lima. END OF SERVICES.
- 05-Night Hotel Accommodation
- Tourist bus, train, plane.
- Traveland Representatives in Cusco, specialist for Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.
- Group experience.
- Tickets to the green stand in the Inti Raymi tour (Festival of the Sun).
- Cusco City tour, Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo, Rainbow mountain, Inti Raymi and Machu Picchu ruins guided tour
- All transfers, tours and excursions as per itinerary in group service with English and Spanish speaking guides.
- International air tickets and associated taxes
- Domestic Flights
- Meals not specified on the itinerary
- Personal expenses such as telephone bills, laundry expenses, beverages, etc
- Insurance against theft, loss, illness
- Price per person US$ 749.00 based on double room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Price per person US$ 799.00 based on single room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Included Following hostels: (Basic Class)
- Cusco: "Ayllu Real or similar Hostel"
- Price per person US$ 848.00 based on double room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Price per person US$ 996.00 based on single room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Included Following 3 starts hotels: (Tourist Class)
- Cusco: "Prisma or Villandre Hotel"
- Price per person US$ 1000.00 based on double room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Price per person US$ 1310.00 based on single room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Included Following 4 starts hotels: (First Class)
- Cusco: "Jose Antonio, Eco Inn, Sonesta Posada del Inca Cusco Hotel"
- Price per person US$ 1175.00 based on double room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Price per person US$ 1635.00 based on single room and tourist train to Machupicchu.
- Included Following 4 starts hotels: (First Class)
- Cusco: "Novotel or Picoaga Hotel"
- Additional for first class VistaDome Train US $ 88.00